(PRESTIGE CLASS: This class is not available at character creation and must be unlocked by meeting special requirements, listed below.)
The duelist is a nimble, intelligent fighter trained in making precise attacks with light weapons, such as the rapier. She always takes full advantage of her quick reflexes and wits in a fight. Rather than wearing bulky armor, a duelist feels the best way to protect herself is not to get hit at all. Duelists are most often fighters or rangers, but almost as often rogues or bards. Wizards, sorcerers, and monks make surprisingly good duelists due to those classes' lack of reliance on armor.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Parry 5 ranks, Tumble 5 ranks.
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Weapon Finesse.
- Hit Die: d10
- Base Attack Bonus: High.
- High Saves: Reflex.
- Weapon Proficiencies: Simple and martial weapons.
- Armor Proficiencies: None.
- Skill Points: 4 + Int Modifier.
- Class Skills: Bluff, Craft Weapon, Listen, Parry, Spot, Taunt, and Tumble.
- Canny Defense: When not wearing armor or using a shield, the duelist adds her intelligence bonus to her AC, with a maximum bonus equal to her Duelist level.
- Improved Reaction: At 2nd level, the duelist can improve her speed and reaction time, triggering the equivalent of the haste spell as if cast by a sorcerer of the duelist's class level. This ability can be used once per day at 2nd level, three times per day at 4th level, four times per day at 6th level, five times per day at 8th level, and 6 times per day at 10th level.
- Enhanced Mobility: At 3rd level, the duelist gains an additional +4 dodge bonus to AC against attacks of opportunity provoked by movement. This bonus stacks with that granted by the Mobility feat.
- Grace: At 4th level, the duelist gains a +2 bonus on Reflex saves.
- Precise Strike: At 5th level, the duelist's skill and precision allows her to inflict much more grievous wounds than her weapon might suggest. Whenever the duelist attacks with a light or one-handed piercing weapon, she adds 1d6 to her damage. This bonus increases to 2d6 at 10th level.
- Flourish: A 6th-level duelist can make an impressive, flashy attack with a light or one-handed piercing weapon that catches her foe off guard. This attack deals 2d6 additional points of piercing damage. There is no limit to the number of times per day the duelist may use this ability, but a 30-second "cool down" period is required between uses.
- Elaborate Parry: At 7th level, the duelist masters the art of defense with her blade. Whenever she wields a light or one-handed piercing weapon, she adds her duelist level to Parry checks.
- Deflect Arrows: A 9th-level duelist gains Deflect Arrows as a bonus feat.